Stress. Stress is difficult. Stress is frightening. Stress is one of the hardest emotions to overcome in your life, and as finals approach closer and closer, so does more and more stress. Sometimes I feel weighed down, almost as if I am completely buried by the stresses of this world, and this is especially evident when finals week approaches. I wonder how I will be able to memorize, study, or retain all of the information, etc…My mind becomes weary and I begin to feel unable to get through anything, let alone finals. I feel small, and unable to accomplish anything because I realize that my problems are huge, but as I began to think more in-depth about this, I realized that I actually have no reason to be weary at all. My stress does not define how big God is, or what he can do in MY life. There is One who relieves my greatest stresses and largest hardships, because HE is greater.
Whether you are stressed for finals, or are having a hard time getting through your own hardships in life right now, there is, was, and always will be One who will be there to sustain and heal your pain from these stresses. I have chosen five verses that help me get through life, hardships, and the worst stresses. These verses help remind me of God’s love and help in my time of need. I hope they may help you as well!
- Psalm 37:23-24, “The Lord makes firm the steps
of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall,
for the Lord upholds him with his hand.”
- This passage shows that, even when we fall, the Lord is always there to pick us right back up again. We may be stressed from hardships in our lives, and God doesn’t deny that we will have them, BUT he is always there to pick us up and make us even greater!
- 11 Thessalonians 2:16-17, “May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.”
- This passage shows that we can have hope in Jesus because he will encourage our hearts and strengthen us. When we are broken and feel defeated, he will give us his love and power.
- James 1:5, “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.”
- Even when we think we lack wisdom, (or worth, or talent, etc.) if we ask God for what we need, he will give it. He will let us realize just how important we are and how great we can be for him. He is always there to make us better FOR HIM.
- Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
- This popular passage reminds us that God has a perfect plan for us. Even when we feel like we are failing, or that our lives are out of control, we can remember that God has the perfect plan for us. He will give us the best future. He will let us succeed and bless our life if we follow him.
- Jeremiah 17:7, “But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him.”
- This passage stresses the importance of trusting in God. Stress tends to take our focus away from God, and onto our life, when in reality, we need to remember to trust God, because confidence can be found in him. He knows what is best, and is stronger than our greatest fears or stresses.
Remember: even when stress comes at us in its most frightening and overpowering form, at its best, it can never defeat us. Our God is always there to keep us, bless us, and give us his great wisdom, if we choose call on him. No matter what you are going through right now, God is always there to fight for you;)
Friends always help with stress too!